A couple weeks ago, I finally finished a quilt I started about a year or more ago. Even though it’s (almost) completely hand stitched, I know I could have finished it quicker. But I had this clever idea to do the binding in the hexies (seen here) but after finishing one side I realized just how much of an undertaking that was. The project was shoved in corner, waiting for me to make that decision of whether or not to continue on with the rest of the quilt (time consuming as it might be) or scrap the completed binding (time consuming as it was) and do a simple binding. I opted for the latter—a simple patchwork binding.
I’m learning that the binding is my favorite part of quilt making. I’d love to say it’s because it’s the finishing step but in truth, I like the actual process of closing up that raw edged sandwich of fabrics and batting. And then hand stitching it in place with little stitches, that if done right, disappear.
Technical details: Simple gray broadcloth with lots of hand stitched and hand appliqued hexagons. Batting is an old felt-like blanket. It’s one and half fabric widths wide (44″+22″=66″) Where the seam runs down the front and back, three quarters of the way across, I placed the hexie strip. The front has a three-hexie-wide strip while the back just has a one-wide strip. And it’s about 6′ long. The corners are rounded because I was too lazy to miter the binding. Hand quilting in simple lines running the length.
I keep hearing it’s going to be a very cold winter this year. So I’m grateful that my stack of (handmade) quilts is growing.
I’ve decided to take some time off from shop stuff and work on things for myself for a little while. First up was a new pincushion. I figured I could incorporate my current obsession with hexagons. So here is the result: all hand stitched with pretty scraps (many Harmony Art Organics) and filled with Bamboo fiber.
I had fun making it so I foresee more in the future. These hexagons are such a great way to use up those little itty bitty scraps.
Up next for myself is the Corner Bookmark featured over at Kootoyoo. And Hey! Why you’re there, check out all the other creative spaces!
You know all those little tiny scraps your saving because you consider it sacrilege to throw any piece of fabric out even though you have no idea what you’ll use them for? Well, this project may solve that predicament.
Finished size is about 3” x 6 1/4”. These fit my specs perfectly, but if you have bigger specs, adjust accordingly.
(First of all, pardon my scorched ironing board cover in the photos…)
Fabric scraps for the hexagons
Freezer paper (or regular paper if you don’t have freezer paper)
6 3/4″ x 6 3/4″ scrap of heavy weight fusible interfacing
6 3/4″ x 6 3/4″ scrap of fabric for the lining
Needle, thread, pins, iron, printer, etc.
Start by making a template for the case. You can either print mine as a JPG and Word Document. The Word Document should be to scale but if not, and if you use the JPG version, you’ll have to adjust the sizing. There is a one inch scale as a guide. Or draft your own by cutting a 6 3/4” x 6 3/4” square from a piece of paper and round two corners. I used a glass to round the corners.
Next cut two 8 1/2 x 11” pieces of freezer paper. Then print the hexagon templates via Cia’s Palette being sure the image prints on the matte side of the paper. Cut out the hexagons (I used about 30 hexagons—so you need two sheets.) There are plenty of other hexagon templates you can find via a Google search, or as always, you can make your own.
Repeat all around. Remove pin.
(If you don’t have freezer paper, you can print on regular paper, simply stitch the edges down instead of ironing them. A simple Google search for ‘English Paper Piecing’ should provide plenty of info.)
Repeat for the rest of the hexagons in various prints.
Continue for the other hexagons.
I forgot a photo for this step because I forgot to do this step but stitch about 1/8” of an inch along the one flat side. This will help keep the hand stitched seams from pulling apart when you turn it inside out later. It’s not absolutely necessary but recommended.
Do the same for the lining, folding in half, right sides together and stitch, except leave an opening at the bottom. (Sorry I forgot a photo for this step as well.)
Now you can tuck the lining in, again using a long, blunt object to push out the seams. You can also top stitch around the opening if you want.
(For personal use only, please.)
Questions, or errors, let me know.
If you make it, please share. I’d love to see. :)