You know all those little tiny scraps your saving because you consider it sacrilege to throw any piece of fabric out even though you have no idea what you’ll use them for? Well, this project may solve that predicament.
Finished size is about 3” x 6 1/4”. These fit my specs perfectly, but if you have bigger specs, adjust accordingly.
(First of all, pardon my scorched ironing board cover in the photos…)
Fabric scraps for the hexagons
Freezer paper (or regular paper if you don’t have freezer paper)
6 3/4″ x 6 3/4″ scrap of heavy weight fusible interfacing
6 3/4″ x 6 3/4″ scrap of fabric for the lining
Needle, thread, pins, iron, printer, etc.
Start by making a template for the case. You can either print mine as a JPG and Word Document. The Word Document should be to scale but if not, and if you use the JPG version, you’ll have to adjust the sizing. There is a one inch scale as a guide. Or draft your own by cutting a 6 3/4” x 6 3/4” square from a piece of paper and round two corners. I used a glass to round the corners.
Next cut two 8 1/2 x 11” pieces of freezer paper. Then print the hexagon templates via Cia’s Palette being sure the image prints on the matte side of the paper. Cut out the hexagons (I used about 30 hexagons—so you need two sheets.) There are plenty of other hexagon templates you can find via a Google search, or as always, you can make your own.
Repeat all around. Remove pin.
(If you don’t have freezer paper, you can print on regular paper, simply stitch the edges down instead of ironing them. A simple Google search for ‘English Paper Piecing’ should provide plenty of info.)
Repeat for the rest of the hexagons in various prints.
Continue for the other hexagons.
I forgot a photo for this step because I forgot to do this step but stitch about 1/8” of an inch along the one flat side. This will help keep the hand stitched seams from pulling apart when you turn it inside out later. It’s not absolutely necessary but recommended.
Do the same for the lining, folding in half, right sides together and stitch, except leave an opening at the bottom. (Sorry I forgot a photo for this step as well.)
Now you can tuck the lining in, again using a long, blunt object to push out the seams. You can also top stitch around the opening if you want.
(For personal use only, please.)
Questions, or errors, let me know.
If you make it, please share. I’d love to see. :)